Luxury Paddington hotels in central London present the complete history of Paddington.
Paddington History, London

Paddington History

History of Paddington for a deep insight about London Paddington area
The London Paddington history page has been compiled for our viewers from various sources.

Together with much of the surrounding land, Paddington, as we now know it, was part of Westminster Abbey's lands and listed as such in the Doomsday Book - c. 1066 - although the monks at Westminster claimed to have been given a small farm there as early as 959. By c. 1135 Paddington was a separate estate and, along with Fanton in Essex and Claygate in Surrey, provided income for the Abbott. In 1185 the Abbott is recorded as having bought from Richard of Paddington and his brother William the entire tenement which they held here.

The history of Paddington explains that there is a record in 1225, which refers to the manor of Paddington and from this it is clear that Paddington and the manor of Knightsbridge were treated as one single estate, although Paddington may have had its own courts or been served by those of Westminster. By 1467, Knightsbridge had been joined into a manor with Westbourne and Paddington, from then on, maine a manor alone. In 1550, after the Reformation, the manor was granted to the Bishop of London by the Crown who sold it to Thomas Browne, after the Civil War more than 100 years later. When Charles II regained the throne, the Bishop of London reclaimed the manor and held it until 1868, when it was passed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

Paddington is notorious as the location of Tyburn - the place where public executions took place for hundreds of years from at least 1196 until 1759, when the location was moved to outside of Newgate gaol. Tyburn itself was located at the southern most tip of Edgware Road - comfortably outside the then city walls. The space around the site allowed up to 21 simultaneous executions and for up to 200,000 people to witness them - executions were a time of a near circus atmosphere with extensive celebrations. By the mid-17th century they were also a time of profit for the minister and churchwardens, who gained a healthy income from the burials. Despite this background, Tyburn was the first part of Paddington to be built up and immediately became very fashionable - the first house built here was for the Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh and Earl of Connaught - Prince William Frederick, who came to the title in 1805. Connaught Place was named after him.

Exploring the London Paddington history further, building to the south of the estate gained pace but agriculture continued actively within Paddington as late as 1880, when 86 cows were recorded as grazing here and Welford & Sons, later dairymen to Queen Victoria, founded their dairy here in 1845. However, the industrial revolution was well underway - the Paddington branch of the Grand Junction canal was opened in 1801 and various elaborate schemes were devised, which included plans to extensive docks on the estate. John Mowlem's business (now a worldwide contruction company) started here. Pickford & Co established a depot at Paddington Basin and between 1879 and 1884 164 canal boats were registered at Paddington, at which time, of course, they were used exclusively for carrying various cargoes through the canal network.

The first station to open in the area was a temporary terminus of the Great Western railway to the west of the present station and the first service from there - to Taplow, near Maidenhead - was in 1838. In the meantime, the main station at Paddington was under construction under the supervision of Isambard Kingdom Brunel - although the extent of his role in the design is still in dispute today. The glazed roof supported by three spans of enormous wrought iron arches was a tremendous architectural achievement. The first underground station was opened in 1863 for the Metropolitan Line's route to Farringdon and was closely followed by their Hammersmith route, which shared platforms with suburban routes from the main station. In 1868 a new line was opened to South Kensington in a cutting across Praed Street, to the south of the main station. This is the basis for routes of the Circle and District Lines at Paddington although, of course, for a long time all services were provided by steam trains. The much deeper Baker Street and Waterloo railway - now the Bakerloo Line - opened in 1913. The London Paddington area consists of 4 star luxury Paddington hotels with WiFi located in the heart of central London and within a minutes walk from the London Paddington station.


Stay at London 4 star hotels in Paddington and explore the Paddington history!