You are here : Home » London Hotels » Hyde Park History
4 star Hyde Park Hotels in central London offers the full history of Hyde Park London.
Hyde Park Location History

Hyde Park History

History of Hyde Park for comprehensive acquaintance about Hyde Park London
Hyde Park history page has been compiled for our viewers from various sources.

In the Doomday Book, the area that now comprises the London Hyde Park was part of the Manor of Eia and was owned by the monks of the recently built Westminster Abbey. Located well outside the walls of the City of London, this was countryside, much as any other - an area of fields and trees, wandering deer and boar and wild bulls. A narrow stream - Westbourne Stream - crossed the area in its path between Hampstead and the Thames.

The history of Hyde Park explains that in 1536, when the monasteries were dissolved, Henry VIII seized the land, selling a small part but keeping the majority to create a vast royal hunting ground stretching from Kensington to Westminster. Henry fenced off the entire area, tuned the stream into drinking ponds for the deer and used the park for his own hunting pleasure and to entertain visiting foreign diplomats and dignitaries. This use of the area continued with Queen Elizabeth I, who also used the adjacent area - now Park Lane - to review her troops.

The appearance and use of Hyde Park changed little until 1625, when King Charles I built a circular track where members of the court could drive their carriages. In 1637, Hyde Park was opened to the public and quickly became a very fashionable place to visit, especially on May Day.

During the Civil War (1642-1649), Hyde Park was in the thick of battle, with forts built by the parliamentary troops on the east side of the park to help defend Westminster from Royalist attack. In 1660, when the monarchy was restored, Hyde Park became a royal park again and Charles II replaced the wooden fence with brick walls, restocked the park with deer and arranged carriage parades again.

In 1689, William and Mary came to the throne and bought Nottingham House, renaming it Kensington Palace and making it their main home in central London. They created a processional route through Hyde Park, which was lit with 300 oil lamps and became the first road in England to be lit at night. In 1728, Queen Caroline, a keen gardener, divided Kensington Gardens from Hyde Park, damming Westbourne Stream to create the Serpentine, giving it the look of a natural lake - quite different from the fashion at the time.

Hyde Park remained much like this for almost 100 years. In the 1820's, King George IV organised a complete transformation for the park, which included building the Triumphal Screen you can still see today as well as the Wellington Arch, which was later moved to its present position at the centre of the Hyde Park Corner. The brick walls were replaced with more fashionable fences, a bridge was built over the Serpentine and West Carriage Drive was created to divide Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens more fully.

Exploring the Hyde Park history further, in 1851, the Great Exhibition took place and Crystal Palace was built in Hyde Park to house much of it. This was a temporary arrangement and, after the Exhibition, Crystal Palace was moved intact to Sydenham in South London. After this, the Hyde Park saw only minor changes - the widening of roads at the southern edge of the park and, more recently, the addition of the memorial fountain to Diana, Princess of Wales. Aside from these small changes, Hyde Park as you see it now is very much as Decimus Burton, working to George IV's instructions, left it and consisting of 4 star Quality Crown Hotel London Hyde Park located in the heart of the city very close to Hyde Park and Paddington Station.


Relax at London 4 star hotels in Hyde Park and learn about Hyde Park history!